Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday, 30 November 2007 - Fresh basil leaves

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for fresh basil leaves straight from my indoor herb garden.

A week before autumn's first hard freeze, I decided to bring the potted basil plants indoors for the winter along with the scented geraniums. At first, I wasn't sure that basil would thrive past October since they're considered annuals. To my surprise, they're doing quite well. After a few weeks, the plants acclimated to their winter home in the lower family room where they sit in front of the west facing sliding glass door and bask in the afternoon sunshine.

I am thrilled to have a fresh herb to use in my cold weather culinary creations. I harvest a handful of basil whenever I cook, adding the fragrant leaves to favorite savory dishes.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: