Saturday, December 01, 2007

Saturday, 01 December 2007 - A story to tell

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a story to tell.

If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison

Tonight, about a dozen participants gathered to celebrate the official end of National Novel Writing Month 2007. Each attendee had successfully finished the 50,000 word challenge. We met for an eclectic potluck meal and proper introductions since most of us knew each other only by our online usernames.

Finally, it was time for the main event. Each author was given the opportunity to read aloud a two-page excerpt from his or her novel. I was a little nervous - reading from my first novel felt more intimidating than reciting one of my poems. Like the other writers, I proudly read the excerpt and graciously accepted the audience's applause.

50,000 words. Seems like a lot of words to write especially when I'm staring at a blank page one. But, 50,000+ words later, I know two things that I did not know before:

1. 50,000 words are insufficient to tell the whole story.
2. 50,000 words are sufficient to convince me that I have a story to tell.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: