Friday, November 02, 2007

Friday, 02 November 2007 - A clean culvert

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a clean culvert.

For the past three years, I've been asking the city to dredge the cement culvert that sits behind our house and adjacent to the park. The culvert had become home to opportunistic plants that grew in large mounds of soil that had accumulated on its floor for the past 20+ years, blocking its drainage function. The north end was a smelly swamp, complete with cattail reeds and other wetland flora. In the summer, we were concerned about mosquitoes.

This morning, T and I were elated when the work crew arrived. I spoke to the men briefly, thanking them them in advance for their work and attention.

In an age when the city council cares more about new housing developments and expansion, I relish this one small victory for our older, established neighborhood.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: