Friday, November 09, 2007

Friday, 09 November 2007 - Homemade focaccia

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for homemade focaccia.

Since our Air Force Academy cadet plans to visit more frequently, I decide to refresh my baking skills and try new recipes. A few days ago, Caprial made focaccia on her cooking show. She made it look so easy that I decide to give it a try this afternoon. S, being Italian, favors this type of bread.

I make my version using the breadmaker so I don't have to knead the dough. In my recipe, I substitute organic whole wheat flour for the all-purpose and add additional wheat gluten. Just before baking the bread on a hot stone, I sprinkle the top with Celtic salt, extra virgin organic olive oil, finely grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil from my winter herb garden. Twenty minutes later, the bread is done.

As soon as I remove the bread from the oven, I drizzle more olive oil over the top. The oil immediately soaks through the crust. A few minutes later, I slice the focaccia into small wedges, pick up a slice and take my first bite. It's absolutely delicious, especially when dipped in even more olive oil.

Next on my list: homemade cinnamon rolls.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

1 comment:

Solomon said...

I want to go to the shops now and buy some focaccia. :D