Saturday, March 31, 2007

Saturday, 31 March 2007 - Hope that springs eternal

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for hope that springs eternal.

Lord of the springtime, Father of flower, field and fruit, smile on us in these earnest days when the work is heavy and the toil wearisome; lift up our hearts, O God, to the things worthwhile - sunshine and night, the dripping rain, the song of the birds, books and music, and the voices of our friends. Lift up our hearts to these this night and grant us Thy peace. Amen. ~W.E.B. Du Bois

Spring means so much to me this year. I embrace the notion of renewal, of beginning again, of brand new starts. In a remote corner of my memory, I bury the disappointments and hurts that flourished in winter's cold, dark months. No tombstone will mark these feelings. I don't want to find them again. Ever.

I want my life to bloom. I want my current path to lead me to great adventures, exciting encounters with new and familiar faces, moments of pure splendor and many months of good work. I am starving for foreign environments, challenges that stretch my imagination and knowledge, and opportunities to give away more of myself than I ever thought possible.

As my gardens awaken from their winter sleep, I marvel at their resilience. A few months ago, sub-zero temperatures and snow prevailed. Now, after only a few weeks of sunshine and mild temperatures, the perennials are sprouting new leaves, the bulbs beginning to display their finest blooms.

Easter Sunday approaches. It's time for me to write my own resurrection story. Stay tuned.

For this blessing, I am very grateful.

Amen.

Photo: T plays with one of his chickens on this cool but sunny day.

No comments: