Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tuesday, 20 March 2007 - Seeds and seedlings

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for seeds and seedlings.

A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible.
~Welsh Proverb

Several of the seeds I planted a few weeks ago are beginning to grow. Unfortunately, I forgot to mark the bins. So, except for the mirabilis multiflora, I can't tell one seedling from another. I'll be able to identify the plants in a few weeks once they've grown more leaves. Each plant variety has a distinctive leaf shape.


I'm quite pleased at my good luck. Now my gardens - especially the backyard locations - will have new additions. I will give any surplus to friends and neighbors. Free plants from a reliable source - a real luxury when you're an avid gardener with limited funding.


I also want to note that the amaryllis that my sister, J, gave me for Christmas is thriving (see white pot in the photo). I think it may bloom in a few days.


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.


Photo: This afternoon, T lies near the planting bins that contain a variety of seedlings. At sundown, I bring the bins indoors to protect the young plants from our chilly evenings and mornings.

No comments: