Monday, March 12, 2007

Monday, 12 March 2007 - Living relatively pain-free

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful that I live relatively pain-free.


Our neighbor, J, suffers from degenerative arthritis (osteoarthritis). Although she is still young (early sixties), she has already endured one knee replacement surgery. A few weeks ago, she had laminectomy back surgery on three vertebrae to relieve pressure on her sciatic nerve. In a few weeks, she will undergo shoulder replacement surgery.
J is also a heart attack survivor. And, despite living with chronic pain, she is an avid and accomplished gardener. She inspires me with her courageous spirit and optimistic attitude.

My minor aches and pains from rock climbing and other athletic pursuits aren't even worth mentioning. I am thankful that I can move through life easily and on my own power. I plan to climb, bicycle, hike, dance and garden until the day I die.


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.

No comments: