Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Tuesday, 27 March 2007 - Diatomaceous earth

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for diatomaceous earth (DE).

The ants are back in full force. I noticed several new mounds this morning near the foundation and compost bins. I hoped our bitter cold winter with many days of sub-zero temperatures would kill most of the colonies near the house. But, no. Like us, the ants have adapted to Colorado's quirky winters.

To control the ants, I sprinkle DE around the foundation and in the garden. Because DE has a flour-like consistency, I use a sieve for this task.

This natural insecticide seems to do the trick for us. Unfortunately, the effect is temporary. As the ants multiply, so must my efforts. Not quite a losing battle - yet. I will concede this: despite my diligence, I won't win this war.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: