Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday, 22 March 2007 - One yellow wristband

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one yellow wristband.

I rarely leave the house without wearing a distinctive yellow livestrong wristband on my right wrist. Sometimes I wear two. Sometimes three. I also carry extras in my handbag. If I meet someone who wants one, I give him/her one from my stash. Gratis. No questions asked.

Why do I wear it?

To remember people I know who died from cancer.
To honor people I know who have survived cancer.
To remind me that the war against cancer is one we must win.
So that I never take my own good health for granted.

And, in case you're wondering, I live strong for:
  • Uncle Ken, mom's older brother (deceased, colon cancer)
  • Uncle George, dad's younger brother (deceased, brain cancer)
  • Carol, co-worker (deceased, breast cancer)
  • Joy from church (deceased, brain cancer)
  • Phyllis, Christine's mother (deceased, ovarian cancer)
  • My brother-in-law's sister (survivor, ovarian cancer)
  • Lance Armstrong, personal hero (survivor, testicular cancer)
  • Casandra, a California woman I met on curezone.com (early survivor, breast cancer)
  • Elizabeth Edwards, Senator John Edwards' wife and a personal hero (recovering from breast cancer diagnosed in 2004; just learned that breast cancer has spread, incurable but treatable)
For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: