Friday, March 30, 2007

Friday, 30 March 2007 - A pair of robins

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a pair of robins.

The neighborhood birds are out in force looking for nesting sites. A pair of robins seems to favor one of the pine trees in the front yard. I suspect but can't confirm that they're building a nest.

I watch the perky male with his bright red breast and the shy female with her more subdued wardrobe roam the garden. They rummage tirelessly for nest building materials and dig for worms and grubs in the warm, moist dirt.

I'm surprised that the robins don't fly away when T and I approach the garden from the sidewalk or driveway. The male stares at us for a moment before resuming the task at hand. The female continues her work beneath the pine tree's lowest boughs. T studies them for a minute or so before losing interest in our new friends. I could watch them for hours but have to go grocery shopping this morning and attend to my chores.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: The male robin pauses near juniper bushes in our neighbor's yard.

No comments: