Saturday, March 10, 2007

Saturday, 10 March 2007 - Garden surprises

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for garden surprises.

The thick layer of leaf mulch that protected the front garden through the very cold and snowy winter is matted and crusty. I spend several minutes breaking it up with my trusty three-pronged hoe. The leaves will soon turn to compost, enriching the native clay soil.

Beneath the mulch, my garden is coming to life. I note the daffodil and allium shoots breaking through the soil, green patches of thyme groundcover and new growth around the base of many perennials.

Our Colorado Springs weather can be very tempermental during March and April, so I resist the temptation to prune the plants. Next week or next month, the entire garden could be buried under a foot of wet snow.

Right now, however, I'm enjoying the sunshine, listening to a delightful bird symphony and carefully counting my garden's many blessings.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: