Monday, March 19, 2007

Monday, 19 March 2007 - Sewing store

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a new sewing store.

When I sew, I love to make simple, designer-chic clothes in unique, natural fiber fabrics with a touch of lycra for comfort. In the mid-1990s, I lost my local fabric source when Wilhemina's, an upscale sewing boutique closed. No more Liberty of London cottons, heathered wool knits, rayon challis in fabulous prints, heavy boiled wool, luscious silks, Swiss batiste and antique glass buttons.

These days, I prefer to buy knit and woven fabric made from sustainable fibers like hemp, bamboo, silk, organic cotton and wool. The Peruvian Connection and Anthropologie catalogues inspire me. Luckily, I can find patterns that fit. But, I can't find high quality fabric.

I've shopped at an online store that has an excellent selection of sustainable fabric at reasonable prices. But, it's not the same. I yearn for a brick and mortar store where I can touch and drape the fabric, test the color against my skin in natural light, discuss fashion and sewing with expert sewers and hone my fitting and sewing skills.

That's why I'm delighted by an upscale sewing boutique on the south side of town - close enough to my main westside shopping corridor but not so close that I'm tempted to make weekly visits. Anyway, I happened to visit during their 25% off everything sale. I bought a Liberty of London-style cotton print for a summer dress and a textured charcoal wool knit for a winter ensemble (probably a 3/4 length jacket and knee length skirt).

I'm determined to sew every piece of fabric that I buy - no more fabric hoarding, no more growing stash, no more guilt over unstarted and unfinished sewing projects.

(Sigh.) So much fabric, so many projects, so little time.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: