Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wednesday, 21 May 2008 - Reasonable expectations

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for reasonable expectations.

I don't know why I adopted the notion that my inability to grow a decent crop of tomatoes marks me a failed gardener.

My tomato growing struggles are legendary (at least to me, they are) not to mention the expense and mental anguish. I think my tomatoes would do just as well if I stuck the plants in unamended soil and forgot about them (except for regular watering, of course).

Anyway, if my tomato plants struggle again this year, I will abandon the effort in 2009 and concentrate on growing peppers, rhubarb, berries and herbs. To increase my odds of success, however, I'm planting four "tried-and-true" heirloom varieties.

And, if my crop fails, well, c'est la vie. I can buy tasty locally grown organic tomatoes for salsa and pasta sauce at the natural food store or farmer's market. So, I won't go without.

What I will relinquish, however, are my sacred bragging rights - the distinct privilege of confessing that these delicious tomatoes are home grown.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: