Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saturday, 10 May 2008 - Seedlings

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for seedlings.

New seed
is faithful.
Its roots deepest

in the places

that are
most empty.


~Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D.

Gardeners everywhere know that starting plants from seed requires faith, patience and prayer. I sowed tomato and pepper seeds on April 27. I check my improvised "greenhouse" often for signs of life. I think its location - the west-facing kitchen window - provides adequate light and heat. Proper moisture regulation is also essential - not too dry, not too wet (the latter is usually my downfall).

This morning, to my utter delight, I find tomato sprouts standing proudly above the dark brown peat pots. I'm especially pleased that 11 of the 15 sungold tomato seeds germinated (sungold tomatoes are my favorite variety; I bought these seeds from another gardener).

Now I must give the seedlings time to mature before I transplant them in pots or my garden. For me, this phase requires even more faith, patience and prayer. I hope I'm up to the challenge.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: