Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thursday, 15 May 2008 - A new gardening strategy

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a new gardening strategy.

The Horticultural Art Society's annual plant sale takes place this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For the third consecutive year, I helped unload the delivery trucks. I also had the chance to discuss plant issues with veteran gardener, Elsie.

Of course, I complained about my paltry tomato and pepper harvests. Based on recent results, I believe that my green thumb applies only to flowering perennials, bulbs and shrubs.

As I spoke, Elsie's face brightened. She knew what I could do to expand my edible garden: plant a perennial vegetable garden. Such a garden would satisfy my "sustainability" requirements and desire to grow food. Then, she rattled off a list of perennial veggies and herbs ... horseradish, rhubarb, garlic, berries, comfrey, winter savory, sorrel, lovage, chives, mint, fruit trees ...

Now I know what to do with my vegetable plot.

Now I know what plants I should buy at the sale.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: