Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday, 18 May 2008 - Calm after the storm

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for calm after the storm.

Calm.

Just what I need after a stormy week of plants and politics.

Late morning, as the temperature begins to rise, we decide to boulder in Ute Valley Park. Afterwards, when we take T for his hike, he tells us he cannot bear the heat by lying down in the middle of the trail. Poor T. We douse him with water and let him rest in the shade for a few minutes before heading back to the truck.

As late afternoon shadows fall, I work steadily in the backyard garden, trimming plants and removing grass clumps from the planting areas. I decide to plant the perennial strawberries and rhubarb in the vegetable patch.

S mows the overgrown late spring lawn. T, overwhelmed by the 80+ degree heat, naps quietly near the vegetable patch. Not even the lawn mower's loud roar can disturb his sweet dreams.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: