Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tuesday, 27 May 2008 - Self-forgiveness

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for self-forgiveness.

I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night. ~Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

Self-forgiveness is something I must work at daily. My perfectionist tendencies and critical nature turn against me when I err. Which is often.

So, when I read the above sentence in The Kite Runner, I pause and consider how forgiveness works. That when I come to terms with my trespasses and shortcomings, I can release the guilt and pain quietly, almost effortlessly.

I fall asleep, murmuring the words, "I forgive me." During the night, my pain slips away - escapes - without saying good-bye. In the morning, my heart, already healing, bears no scar.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: