Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday, 17 May 2008 - Patience

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for patience.

I participate in the political process because I think it's important to be part of the solution. If I don't vote, I don't have the right to complain. My vote is often the only way I have a voice or can state my case for change or status quo.

Still, despite my heightened interest in this year's primary race, today's Colorado State Democratic Party Convention really tried my patience. At the end of the day, I actually questioned whether my efforts on behalf of Senator Barack Obama were worth the time investment.

Yesterday's registration process was chaotic and ridiculous. No one, it seemed, looked at processes from the attendee's point of view. A fatal error, especially in a year when more people than ever want to participate.

S and I attended the Convention first, as volunteers on the Transportation Committee - a very worthwhile and greatly appreciated endeavor. We were also Obama alternates for El Paso County, a status that meant hours of sitting in the bleachers wondering whether or not we would be seated as delegates.

The day's final agenda item was the vote. State delegates would elect delegates to the National Convention. Just before ballot distribution began, we learned that we would be seated as Obama delegates.

So, after one final ordeal to obtain official delegate credentials, came the prize, the chance to vote.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: