Saturday, May 03, 2008

Saturday, 03 May 2008 - HerbFest

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for HerbFest.

I attend this local event for the second consecutive year. Sadly, my neighbor, Sherry, can't accompany me. Osteoarthritis now prevents her from walking or standing for more than a few minutes at a time. And, S has no interest in herbs or gardening. So, I go alone.

I thoroughly enjoy my outing. For nearly two hours, I walk the exhibit floor where vendors sell everything from products infused with Amazon rainforest botanicals to homemade soaps, salves and lotions to Himalayan salt scrubs to specially blended detox tea. Of course, I love samples. I nibble on organic cocoa bean concoctions, sip energy drinks and dab essential oils on my wrists.

My main mission is to buy live herbs for my garden. Fortunately, a local nursery is selling organically grown plants near the entrance. I select an assortment of culinary herbs to plant in pots, three jalapeno pepper plants and two pelargonia (one cinnamon, one ginger) for my small scented geranium collection.

I'm especially fond of the eight sweet basil plants. When I sniff the fragrant leaves, I can taste spoonfuls of homemade pesto. (sigh) I can't hardly wait for summer.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: