Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Wednesday, 30 August 2006 - One very patient dog

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one very patient dog.

You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell.
~Emily Dickinson


No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does. ~Christopher Morley

While S and I rock climbed for about four hours yesterday, T lay or sat in the shady belayer's area, watching us. He waited so patiently, believing that, at the end of our climbing session, we would take him for a hike along a real trail.

And so we did.

After unloading the climbing gear in the truck, we granted T his wish - a hike along Ute Trail.

T was delighted that we kept our promise. He walked aggressively like a sled dog, pulling S up the hills while I lagged behind.

'Twas a very rewarding afternoon for our most wonderful canine son. Three deer bounding from the scrub oak, four horses and their riders on the trail, several rabbits in a thicket and whatever else tickles or entices a Labrador Retriever's nose.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: