Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Tuesday, 08 August 2006 - A passionate groundskeeper



Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a passionate groundskeeper.

God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools. ~John Muir

I am heartbroken. Last night, a group of "fools" vandalized our park, seriously damaging several trees. I filed a police report and notified the Parks Department. I also surveyed the damage with our park's head groundskeeper.

This young man (he's probably in his late 20s or early 30s) was deeply saddened by the destruction. I could see the hurt in his eyes as we discussed recent acts of vandalism.

As he spoke, I detected a very caring and passionate heart for his "charges" - several parks and street medians in our sector of the city. My neighborhood is very fortunate to have him working on our behalf.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: