Monday, August 07, 2006

Monday, 07 August 2006 - Online newspapers

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for online newspapers.

Newspapers: dead trees with information smeared on them.
~Horizon, "Electronic Frontier"


What's black and white and read all over?
~ a childhood riddle


I am a newspaper addict. I've read hard copy dailies for about 45 years. My "addiction" began in the second grade when I eagerly followed my favorite baseball team, the Los Angeles Dodgers, and discovered the comics page.

But, times have changed and so have my priorities. The environment is my hot button.

I am finally sick and tired of recycling newsprint and stacks of magazines. I am ready to go paperless.

Our goal: no subscriptions to hard copy newspapers and magazines by year end. Instead, we'll rely on the online editions for news and other information.

This morning, I cancelled subscriptions to four newspapers - three daily and one weekly. We're converting two dailies to online subscriptions. We're letting the other two run out which means we'll receive the weekly and Sunday paper for about six more weeks. We won't renew current magazine subscriptions or sign up for new ones.

I'm also removing my name from catalogue mailing lists (except for High Country Gardens) - a real sacrifice since I love to "window shop." Our budget no longer tolerates my former indulgences, so why risk the temptation? I can always access online stores or Ebay if I need to buy something.

So, wish me well as I become a paperless person. The trees and environment will definitely benefit from this change. And, I guess I will be spending even more time at the computer.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: Echinacea

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go gosei_girl!
I wish you every success on your paperless goal. When you get into it I guarantee you'll start getting a fuzzy glow knowing that your doing something positive for the planet.