Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Wednesday, 23 August 2006 - Gestures of kindness


Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for gestures of kindness that flow from me and to me every day.

Three things in humanlife are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. The third is to be kind. ~Henry James

In April 1978, I began my business career. I went straight from graduate school at UCLA to the personnel department of a major California bank. Somewhere along the way, I had already learned an important lesson: be kind to everyone from the mailroom clerk to the president.

I had the privilege to work with people from both extremes of the organization chart and everywhere in between. I treated my colleagues with respect and kindness no matter the situation. My reward: several promotions and honors.

When I left the bank about 18 months later, my department gave me a going away party that included a cake and other refreshments. I still remember how my eyes filled with tears when I read the writing on the cake. Not "Good luck" or "Good-bye" but "We love you, D______!"

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: T guards our gear while we rock climb.

No comments: