Monday, August 14, 2006

Monday, 14 August 2006 - An August storm

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for an August storm.

The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


The calendar says summer but it looks like a dreary day in late fall. Gray skies, fog and a heaviness in the air. The temperature hovers in the 60s. I sit in my studio, working on the computer, awaiting the inevitable storm.

Firecracker-loud thunder follows a sudden flash of lightening. Then rain. Torrents of rain.

The moisture soon sates the earth's thirst, soaking the garden. Run-off pours down the driveway and into the street gutter. The bins I use to collect rain water have nearly an inch of water.

One hour later, the rain abates. The clouds part for just a few minutes, revealing a sliver of blue. Then, the opening closes. Once again, clouds and fog engulf the sky.

I decide to tend the garden before the rain returns. The weeds pull up easily from the damp earth. The plants look refreshed and lovely. The richly hued flowers "pop" against the deep green foilage. I hope the tomato plants, their branches laden with ripening fruit, survive the deluge.

I notice that the sun has begun to set over the mountains. Time for T's evening walk. If we leave now and walk quickly, we can get in at least two laps around the park before the rain resumes.

After sleeping most of the afternoon, T is more than ready for some physical exercise. And, after my afternoon of writing and thinking, so am I.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: