Thursday, August 17, 2006

Thursday, 17 August 2006 - Growing pains

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the growing pains.

Pain is the great teacher. I woke before dawn with this thought. Joy, happiness, are what we take and do not question. They are beyond question, maybe. A matter of being. But pain forces us to think, and to make connections, to sort out what is what, to discover what has been happening to cause it. And, curiously enough, pain draws us to other human beings in a significant way, whereas joy or happiness to some extent, isolates.
~May Sarton

I can handle my physical pains.

An ice pack here.
A warm compress there.
A shoulder massage.
Soak my feet.
Rest.

My emotional pains, however, demand special care. Healing the heart and soul requires time and patience. Plus, you have to want to do it.

I must peel away the fragile layers of hurt before I reach the solid core of my issues. Then, I must have the courage to confront, to understand, to forgive, to cry, to forget, to let go, to move on.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: T guards my water collection bins.

No comments: