Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Wednesday, 09 August 2006 - A few good friends

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a few good friends.

A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably. ~William Penn

A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can live for two months on a good compliment. ~Mark Twain

We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

I live a rather sheltered existence, occasionally venturing beyond the neighborhood and rarely breaching the city borders. Much of this is due to the rising gas prices - it no longer pays to go places just to go. I'm also in a reclusive phase - all I want to do is stay home, think and write. I'm tired of being the person who does all the reaching out. Right now, I just want to be left alone.

That's where my very few but very close friends come in. I don't have to go far for my "therapy" sessions since these people are my neighbors.

On any given evening, I may be next door (house to the north), talking to B about my challenges, dreams, roadblocks and progress on various writing projects. He is an interesting, smart and creative person - probably one of the top five people I know. We also share similar political views (a bonus). If I need a word of encouragement, I turn to him.

You may also find me across the street visiting K. We can talk for hours about our gardens (hers inspired mine), plants, knitting and whatever else crosses our minds. She is a talented cyclist and gifted artist whose inner beauty matches her loveliness. If I need a compliment or two, I turn to K.

If I'm next door (house to the south), it means D and I are chatting about family life, her two teenaged boys and life's unending challenges. She is down to earth, sensible and the best cookie baker in the universe (she always gives us a plateful when she bakes her out-of-this-world chocolate chip cookies). We share a love of sewing and reading and are addicted to word puzzles and Sudoku. If I need a hug and sisterly pat on the back, I turn to D.

I pray that I my value to their lives matches or exceeds theirs to mine. We are, after all, in this together.

For these blessings, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: Gaillardia daisies bloom in the backyard

No comments: