Thursday, August 10, 2006

Thursday, 10 August 2006 - Safety

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for safety.

Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
~William Shakespeare


For safety is not a gadget but a state of mind.
~Eleanor Everet


In spite of everything that's happening in the world, I feel quite safe. I am not stupid or naive about this issue. S and I have been victims of crimes that required police reports and investigations. Fortunately, no one was ever hurt and the damaged property, salvageable. Each incident, however, quickly reminded us that our seemingly quiet, middle-class neighborhood is not immune to violent crimes.

From 1997-2000, I traveled extensively on business. During one period, I flew to Atlanta every other week. One very hot Sunday afternoon, our departure was delayed because the plane was overweight.

As we sat onboard awaiting news about the flight's status, a young boy sitting directly behind me began to complain about the delay. His mother tried to calm him.

"We should be grateful for safety," she remarked.

Then she asked the question of the day, "Are you grateful for safety?"

Her son, now on the verge of throwing a tantrum, replied with a defiant "No!"

I, on the other hand, had never considered the question. I stopped reading just long enough to whisper, "Yes. I am grateful for safety."

Our flight soon departed for Atlanta without further incident.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: This morning, T patrols the backyard fence while I tend my gardens.

No comments: