Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wednesday, 30 April 2008 - A smaller world

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a smaller world.

My last minute email to a friend yields a warm thank you and bad news. Funny how I hesitated before sending the message. Now, I'm glad I did. If I hadn't written, I would never have known about the cancer. As a result, I feel more connected; the world feels smaller, more intimate.

Of course, the bad news catches me off-guard. Sadness mars this bright and beautiful spring day as I add another name to the list of people for whom I wear a yellow "livestrong" bracelet.

A mutual friend has Stage 4 lung cancer and is currently undergoing conventional treatment. Despite the grim prognosis, he remains in good spirits. He's a lifelong nonsmoker but then, about 10-15% of lung cancer patients make the same claim. Could it be the toxic Los Angeles smog in which we grew up, the flaky asbestos ceilings in our UCLA dorm rooms or secondhand smoke?

I've known this man since the first grade but lost track of him after college. When we graduated from high school, he gave me a bottle of my favorite Miss Dior cologne (was an expensive gift in those days). I wish I still had the bottle so I could hold it close to my heart. Would be like holding his hand while I pray.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: