Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday, 17 April 2008 - Food

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for food.

In my case, a little hunger is a good thing. Not that I need to lose weight or go on a diet. But even health nuts like me can afford to skip a few meals.

Why am I writing about hunger? Because I'm alarmed after reading that many people in my community need food. The food pantries, stretched to their limits in a stressed economy, confess their inability to provide even the most basic goods to hungry citizens. I'm most concerned about children and elderly people.

Today, while running errands, I notice food drive collection bins standing prominently in many store entrances. I write down the most requested items: peanut butter, tuna, pasta, beans, soup. I raid our pantry for suitable donations and add missing items to next week's grocery list. Finally, I mail a check to the local food bank.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: