Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuesday, 29 April 2008 - My longtime friend, HP

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my longtime friend, HP, as he celebrates his birthday.

The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.
~
Elisabeth Foley

It takes a long time to grow an old friend. ~John Leonard

We first met in the first grade which means our friendship spans 48+ years. He was the brother I never had and, I guess I was the sister he never had.

I think our friendship endures because we have profound respect and admiration for each other. In 48 years, I don't think we've ever argued or uttered a negative word about each other.

After attending elementary, junior high and high school together, we went to UCLA for our undergraduate degrees (his in history, mine in kinesiology) and postgraduate studies. We even lived in the same dorm.

My fondest memory?

During graduate school, HP stopped by during my office hours. Surprisingly, past events and old friends never crept into our conversation. Instead, we shared current challenges, future plans, hopes and dreams.

Yes, we had grown up. Together.

I knew then that, no matter how divergent our paths after we left UCLA, we would always be friends. For once, I was right.

Happy Birthday, HP!

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: