Thursday, April 03, 2008

Thursday, 3 April 2008 - Poets and poetry

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for poets and poetry. April is National Poetry Month.

To be a poet is a condition, not a profession. ~Robert Frost
I've written some poetry I don't understand myself. ~Carl Sandburg
Poetry is life distilled. ~Gwendolyn Brooks
A poem begins with a lump in the throat. ~Robert Frost

A friend asks me what it's like to be a poet. I tell her that I see the world through poetry, finding poems in everything. I often think in poems, record ideas in poems, capture memories in poems. A poet. It's who I am. I didn't choose poetry; poetry chose me. Over 45 years ago.

As a poet during National Poetry Month, I will write new verses and share my work with local audiences. I will also read favorites ... Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Carl Sandburg, Walt Whitman, ee cummings ... hoping to improve my own writing by spending time with the grand masters.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: