Friday, April 11, 2008

Friday, 11 April 2008 - New trees

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for new trees.

He who plants a tree
Plants a hope.

~Lucy Larcom

Something is going on in the park, but it is so cold, snowy and windy that I'm unwilling to go outside to investigate. Instead, I watch from my studio window and try to make sense of the commotion.

Okay. Now, I get it.

Trees. The City Forestry Department is planting trees, replacing the dozen we lost last year to drought or vandalism.

Sadly, trees don't thrive in our park. I asked a Forest Ranger about this problem. He shook his head as he named the familiar culprits: deep rock layers that impede root growth, ongoing drought and wind. Vandalism is a new issue for our neighborhood. I hope last summer's incidents don't recur this year.

******************************

This afternoon, T and I visit the park. Despite the bitter cold wind, we pause by each newly planted tree, acknowledging its arrival. As T sniffs the layer of fresh pine mulch, I welcome the tree to the park and tell it how glad we are to see it. Then, I ask for Divine help to ensure the tree's survival. Finally, I promise to remember it in my prayers.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: