Saturday, April 26, 2008

Saturday, 26 April 2008 - Seed planting time

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for seed planting time.

Think small. Planting tiny seeds in the small space given you can change the whole world or, at the very least, your view of it. ~Linus Mundy

I'm late. I should have started the tomatoes and peppers a few weeks ago. But, back then, I was unsure if I had the right attitude to grow vegetables this summer.

Today, I decided to try again. Not because I want to to change the whole world, but because I need to change my view of it.

So, this afternoon, I carefully plant tiny heirloom tomato and pepper seeds in small peat planters. I place the 25 planters in a lidded tray that simulates a greenhouse. I set the box in the sunny west-facing kitchen window and begin the long wait.

Tomorrow, I'll plant basil, cilantro and chives seeds in pots and transplant pelargonium cuttings. If the cold winds subside, I'll sow coreopsis, daisy, poppy, butterfly weed and marigold seeds in the backyard garden. And, I must remember to study the bulb catalog - it's already time to pre-order my selections for this fall's planting.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: