Monday, October 01, 2007

Monday, 01 October 2007 - Food

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for food.

There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread. ~Indira Gandhi

Recently, the local FreeCycle message board to which I subscribe, has seen an increase in food requests. I'm concerned. People need food. Usually for their children. Nothing fancy or expensive. Cereal, milk, bread, peanut butter - whatever one can spare. Have already visited area food banks. Just need enough to get through the next week or two. Until the paycheck arrives. Until the crisis is over.

I write to one person, asking what I can do to help. She explains her current hardships. She tells me that some people responded with mean-spirited lectures and name-calling. One well-meaning person actually gave her an assortment of opened cereal boxes, the contents contaminated by mouse droppings. I tell her that, in the United States, it takes courage to ask for help (we have a "thing" about pride and self-sufficiency). I also promise to do what I can to help her family.

Unfortunately, I do not have Bill Gates' checkbook. Fortunately, I have his heart for giving. I simply apply the Golden Rule. I just wish I could do more.

In our rich, overweight and wasteful country, how can we allow people to go hungry?

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: