Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thursday, 18 October 2007 - Self-discovery lessons

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for self-discovery lessons - the necessary but difficult ones.

There's a period of life when we swallow a knowledge of ourselves and it becomes either good or sour inside. ~Pearl Bailey

It's a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy. ~Lucille Ball

I am doing what Pearl Baily describes: swallowing a knowledge of myself, then tasting the resulting bitterness and sweetness. Then, I repeat the process until the proverbial light bulb turns on. Oh, how I like epiphanies.

I am also doing what Lucille Ball suggests: learning to recognize what makes me happy. Easier said than done. My list is still very short.

I do this work not in the spirit of self-improvement - I've abandoned fluffier pursuits for hard core introspection. And, I do this work because, if I don't, I'm afraid that my life will unravel beyond repair.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: