Saturday, October 27, 2007

Friday, 26 October 2007 - One tough decision

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one tough decision.

Once in a young lifetime, one should be allowed to have as much sweetness as one can possibly want and hold. ~Judith Olney

This afternoon, while grocery shopping, I realize that it's time to buy Halloween candy.

Yup. It's that time of the year. Time to decide what to give the trick-or-treaters. An agonizing decision, complicated by my inner-health nut's protests against the impending purchase of sugary food.

I walk up and down the "treats" aisle, overwhelmed by the vast selection. The shelves overflow with hundreds, maybe thousands of bags of sugary confections. I grab bag after bag and study the ingredients. I cringe each time I find the words, "partially hydrogenated oil," among a litany of artificial flavors, preservatives and other additives.

Choosing Halloween treats for other people's kids is a tough decision. Twenty minutes later, I am still undecided.

I finally settle on chocolate bars, the ones that normally cost 75 cents each. They are on sale, 10 for $3.00. Only 9 ingredients - 8 used to make the milk chocolate. I buy 40.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: