Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tuesday, 23 October 2007 - Creative cooking

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for creative cooking.

Some people call me a "freestyle" cook because I rarely use a recipe. Instead, I take a look at my available ingredients. Then, I use them to create an interesting dish or meal. Definitely ad hoc. Unfortunately, I'm unable to replicate the dishes S really likes or give others the recipe. How do you quantify a little bit of this or a generous spoonful of that? (sigh) I am simply following Bobby Flay's advice: learn to create and refine each dish by taste.

And, when I cook, one thing leads to another.

For example, today, the three avocados are finally ripe. So, I need to make guacamole and something to accompany the guacamole since we don't eat chips. How about enchiladas using Mexican cheese, ground buffalo and tofu? And, since the oven is already on, I might as well make crispy oven baked potatoes using organic Yukon Golds and roasted organic chicken thighs. That ought to feed S for a few days! No dessert baking this time around (even though I'm tempted to make brownies). I'm trying to eliminate sugar from my diet.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: