Monday, October 15, 2007

Monday, 15 October 2007 - Autumn nights

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for autumn nights.

Would it not take one
Who slept alone to know it?

Who could have told you

That the nights in autumn

Are indeed extremely long?

~Takashina Kishi

The neighboring county to the west reports its first snow of the season. I'm sure that we'll see ours any day now.

Roll out the welcome mat for fall weather. To those of us who barely tolerate hot summer weather, autumn offers gifts of nippy but energizing temperatures and chilly winds. S, of course, could live in summer's heat year round.

Even though I wear a heavy fleece jacket indoors, I feel cold all day. My blood hasn't had the chance to thicken and my fat reserves are low. I am quite thin right now. Even my skinniest winter jeans are loose in the waist and legs. Must be our frequent climbing adventures and my strict diet.

As the temperatures drop, we'll climb less and hike more. But, as long as it's sunny and at least 45 degrees, S and I can and will climb in Red Rock Canyon. We hike in any weather, mainly for T's sake. He relishes the nippy temperatures and scent-filled trails. This morning, the kitchen floor sweeping yielded less dog hair than usual. Finally! T is shedding less - but still shedding.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: