Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wednesday, 31 January 2007 - Pedestrian opportunity

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a pedestrian opportunity.


(Sigh.) We're enduring another bitter cold day. This morning, the North wind was so cruel that T and I barely survived one lap around the park. Now, S mentions that he needs to go the the credit union to deposit a check - a branch office is about a mile from the house. He's hesitant about driving the short distance - the trip would not be good for the truck since the engine would not warm up properly.


Around 2:30 PM, I take T for another spin around the park. It's beginning to snow. To my surprise, the wind has died down considerably. After one lap, we race home to give S an updated weather report. The decision: we will walk to the credit union so S can complete his important errand.


So, there we are. Two baby boomers and their dog, walking through the neighborhood on a wintry Wednesday afternoon. Our first destination: the credit union branch that resides in the strip center near the entrance to the neighborhood. I wait outside with T while S deposits the check. Passers-by say hello and comment about T's exceptionally good behavior.


Our second stop, the local Starbucks. S takes in the two commuter mugs I carried in my backpack and fills them with hot coffee (decaf for me). I sip the steamy liquid as we cross the street and begin the short journey home. The route is now uphill all the way - at least the exercise will warm us. T happily leads us up one street and then another. Soon, our house is in sight.


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.

No comments: