Friday, January 12, 2007

Friday, 12 January 2007 - Peppermint tea

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the mugs of hot peppermint tea that I'm drinking to ward off the cold and soothe my overcast, wintry spirit.

Antisthenes says that in a certain faraway land, the cold is so intense that words freeze as soon as they are uttered, and after some time then thaw and become inaudible, so that words spoken in winter go unheard until next summer. ~Plutarch, Moralia

As evening falls, sub-zero temperatures prevail while the North Wind stages his finest performance this year. I'll definitely throw an extra blanket on the bed before turning in.

Each winter storm offers its own bit of drama. A week ago, it was S's pre-dawn drive to the airport in the midst of a snowstorm. Tonight, it's his flight back to Colorado Springs - ETA is the wee hours of Saturday morning. Then, to get home, he has to drive a nail-biting 20 miles, negotiating icy and snow-packed roads on the coldest night of the new year. I'm praying for his safe return.

For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.

Photo: Mid-day. Bitter cold engulfs my world. I shiver when I look at this photo. Can you see the day's chilliness? Poor T - no walks today.

No comments: