Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sunday, 21 January 2007 - Outdoor adventures on an indoor day

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for outdoor adventures on an indoor day.


To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter; to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life.
~John Burroughs


So what if it's cold, windy and snowing. So what if we're tired of winter and yearn for a sunny and warm rock climbing-worthy afternoon.


T and I are not going to let inclement weather spoil our Sunday. So, it's off to the park - not one or two but three times.

If we hadn't made the third trip, we would have missed the flock of songbirds scavenging for seeds in the south meadow. Their winter feathers perfectly matched the frozen gray earth and dull brown grasses. We didn't see the birds until they took flight, probably startled by our approach to their feeding ground.


I noticed how noisy snow can be, crunching and squeaking with each step especially when I wear my heavier boots. T's steps are silent. I wonder if he hears my steps (or is walking on snow like eating a raw carrot - I hear every crunchy bite but no one else does)?


The cold air refreshes.
The walk invigorates.
The snow crunches.
The dog and his person rejoice.


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.

No comments: