Friday, January 26, 2007

Friday, 26 January 2007 - The Thrift House

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for The Thrift House, a local organization that runs a thrift store just south of the downtown area. The Thrift House invests its profits in our community, supporting over 50 charities.


My friend, Kim, first told me about this charitable organization. Now, it's where I donate my gently-used clothes, shoes and accessories. The best part - if you give regularly like I do, they set up an account for you. As you donate, the volunteers value the items. At the end of the year, you get a statement that reports the dollar value of your donations (great for tax time).


This afternoon, I donated all the clothes, shoes and accessories that I have not worn in one year or that are now too big (I've lost inches thanks to rock climbing and weight lifting). The volunteers greet me by first name and are always glad to see me and my "stuff."


I guess could sell the items on Ebay, but the amount of money I'd make won't change my life. My donations to The Thrift House, however, are making a difference in our community.


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.

No comments: