Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wednesday, 24 January 2007 - A great thing to attempt

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a great thing to attempt.


What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?
~Robert H. Schuller

Last night, the PBS show, Independent Lens, aired a program entitled, "Beyond the Call."


In an Indiana Jones-meets-Mother Teresa adventure, three middle-aged men, former soldiers and modern-day knights, travel the world delivering life-saving humanitarian aid directly into the hands of civilians and doctors. Ed Artis, James Laws and Walt Ratterman inspire through deeds, not words, in some of the most dangerous yet beautiful places on Earth — the front lines of war.
(http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/)

I was captivated by how these "ordinary" men accomplish great humanitarian deeds with limited personal resources. Now, inspired by their work, I long for my own "make a difference" adventure.

This morning, I read that a New Orleans school district is having a tough time recruiting teachers or prospective teachers for the most at-risk high schools in the Katrina-ravished region. They're recruiting nationwide for qualified people.

I first fell in love with New Orleans - the place and the people - nearly ten years ago. I was the marketing manager for a start-up company, and we were exhibiting our products at a major trade show. Since then, I've visited several times on business. I wonder if the school district would be interested in a 50-something writer from the West, a UCLA graduate who would love to teach high school writing and math? In any event, I'll talk it over with S and T. I am seriously thinking about applying.


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.

No comments: