Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tuesday, 23 January 2007 - Neighborhood teachers and mentors

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for neighborhood teachers and mentors.

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery. ~Mark Van Doren

There's nothing that can help you understand your beliefs more than trying to explain them to an inquisitive child. ~Frank A. Clark

I am thinking about some very special people: our next-door neighbor, Bill, a veteran educator who teaches art at a middle school; our other next-door neighbor, Dennis, who diligently coaches his two high school-aged sons in baseball, basketball and football; my husband, S, who patiently shows the neighborhood kids how to maintain and adjust their bicycles; the man in the park who enthusiastically coaches two young but promising athletes in the art of playing football (he seems strict, but the boys always seem to love the attention and experience).

And, yes, I am trying to do my part. Even if it's simply saying a cheerful, "good morning" when T and I meet a child walking to the bus stop. Or asking "how was school today?" when I see someone I know walking home. Or supporting a fundraising effort (the kids know that I never say "no").

It's all about being accessible and showing we care.
It's all about treating children with high regard.
It's all about sharing our experiences and knowledge.
It's all about being generous with our time, talents and resources.
It's all about investing in our future.

For these blessings, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: