Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sunday, 28 January 2007 - Book friends

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for book friends.


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.
~Sir Francis Bacon

I've begun my annual reading of Alice Koller's book,
An Unknown Woman: A Journey to Self-discovery. I bought my copy at the B. Dalton bookstore in Beverly Hills on January 8, 1983 (I still have the original receipt - paid $15.92 for the hardback edition ). I read it nonstop that afternoon. Since my first reading, this book has remained one of my very best friends.

I've never met Alice Koller and, despite my best efforts, haven't found her mailing address. If I had the opportunity, I would invite her to lunch at a quiet cafe. While we waited for our meals, I would thank her for writing this extraordinary book. Through it, she has helped shape my own journey to self-discovery by asking key questions. More importantly, however, she has forced me to find the answers.

And, so, I begin on page 1. "The October morning sunlight pours against my reflection in the bathroom mirror ..."


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.

No comments: