Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday, 10 December 2006 - Ability to adapt

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the ability to adapt.

Chris Sharma, the world's best climber, once remarked that the rock doesn't adapt to us; we must adapt to the rock. Victor Frankl also wrote, "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves." Very sage advice.

I don't blame the rock when a climb is difficult. I know when I've been pushed to my limits. Sometimes, however, I just wish I were taller. Because I am short, a moderate climb becomes more difficult when the next move is just out of reach (this happens all the time). So, I follow Chris Sharma's advice. I am constantly adapting to the rock - finding intermediate hand or footholds (or both) so I can follow the intended route.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.
Photo: Red Rock Canyon - T grazes on the scrub oak bushes while we climb on the Quarry Wall.




No comments: