Friday, December 29, 2006

Friday, 29 December 2006 - Roses in December

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for roses in December


God gave us memories
that we might have roses in December.

~J. M. Barrie, Courage, 1922

Memory is a complicated thing,
a relative to truth, but not its twin.

~Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams

It is so cold and windy outdoors that I can only imagine taking T for a walk around the park. I've done it so many times that my memory of the event surfaces effortlessly.


Donning my jacket and sunglasses (if it's cold, I'll also don hat and gloves). Putting the choke chain around T's neck. Clipping the lead to the chain. Checking my pocket for "poop" bags. Taking the house key off the hook. Asking T, "Are you ready to go?" and waiting for the tail wagging reply that always signals, "Yes! Let's go!" Opening the front door. Inhaling a deep breath of outdoor air. Closing the door behind us. Beginning our short but meaningful journey into familiar territory.


T, of course, wants to do the real thing. But, I'm chicken and wary of the bitter cold. T must do my bidding today. Unless, of course, his dad is willing to battle the blizzard and gives in.


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.


Photo: T considers his options on this wintry day.

No comments: