Saturday, December 30, 2006

Saturday, 30 December 2006 - Thoughtful neighbors

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for thoughtful neighbors.


Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,

When it is in your power to do it.

Do not say to your neighbor, "Go, and come back,
And tomorrow I will give it,"

When you have it with you.

~Proverbs 3:27-28 (NASB)


Our neighborhood is abuzz with activity as we dig out of the most recent snowstorm. Of note are M's efforts. He owns a snowblower and, as usual, is the first one out this morning. He clears the sidewalk from his house to ours. In the culdesac, he extends our driveways so my husband, S, and our neighbor, D, can safely back out to the plowed street. Our postal carrier can now reach the mailboxes without getting stuck in dense snowdrifts.


S shovels our walkway, porch and driveway while I take T for a walk. Our destination is the park. First, however, we must navigate deep snowdrifts and icy streets and sidewalks. The fierce north wind sweeps across the open space. Blowing snow dusts the rippled drifts like a fine mist that sprays a choppy ocean.


We finally reach the park entrance. The familiar sidewalk lies somewhere beneath the deep powder. I rely on T to find the path around the park. I grab onto my hat as we turn the corner and meet a high-spirited headwind. T revels in the snow and wind. I, however, am anxious to get home. I urge T to forget the sniffs (he reluctantly obeys) and keep walking. At the end of one lap, we head for home, carefully retracing our outbound steps.


For this blessing, I am grateful.


Amen.


Photos: Digging out



T and I stand in the sidewalk's deep trench.

Westside park bench near the children's playground

The windblown snow - sparse by the backstop,
much deeper in other parts of the park

Blodgett Peak rises above the neighborhood and park

The snow piles grow quickly beside our neighbors' driveways.

T tastes the backyard snow.

Looking towards the southwest corner of the backyard

Compost bins (not alien structures)

T decides to explore the northwest section of his yard.

No comments: