Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Tuesday, 31 October 2006 - Attitude adjustment

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for an attitude adjustment.

It's so hard when I have to, and so easy when I want to. ~Annie Gottlier

The morning weather report: 19 degrees; feels like 12 degrees with the wind chill.

I gaze out my studio window for a few minutes, staring nervously at the frost-covered landscape. T anxiously awaits his morning walk. I'm stalling for time because I don't want to face the cold. I wonder if my new Patagonia wind-resistant jacket will keep me warm. Actually, I'd prefer to skip the walk altogether, but T is a creature of habit and won't let me off the hook. And it wouldn't be fair - to him.

I'm funny that way. I care that things are fair for the other party without considering my own plight. I give and give and sometimes take a little. It's just me. Just my way of dealing with life. Anyway, It works most of the time.

OK. The walk is on. T excitedly anticipates his first steps beyond the front door. His eagerness is quite contagious. He's forcing me to enjoy our routine. Doesn't take much. A lively tail wag that whacks my thigh. An insistent nudge with his cold nose. Magically, my questionable attitude abruptly switches from "having to" to "wanting to."

I want to go for a walk with T on this exceptionally bitter cold morning.

My, my. It's going to be an interesting day.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: View from my studio window - a bitter cold, frosty day that's Halloween eerie.

No comments: