Monday, October 30, 2006

Monday, 30 October 2006 - First steps on the road to happiness

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my first steps on the road to happiness.

The road to happiness lies
in two simple principles:
find what it is that interests you
and that you can do well,
and when you find it,
put your whole soul into it --
every bit of energy and ambition
and natural ability you have.
~John D. Rockefeller III, philanthropist

I want to travel on my road to happiness - I really do. Sometimes, I feel that I'm half way there since I can explain Mr. Rockefeller's first principle.


Writing.

I'm interested in writing. I'm passionate about writing. And, I think I do it well.

Mr. Rockefeller's second principle is harder for me to follow precisely.

Can I truly put my soul into my writing? Is it worth every bit of my energy, every last ounce of my ambition and every thread of talent that resides within this 107 pound body?

My rational side immediately questions everything about this challenge, threatening my confidence with whispers of self-doubt. But, intuition - that deep gut-wrenching feeling that helps me make tough decisions - exhorts, "Yes. You can do it. You must do it. Go for it."

My heart beats rapidly. I'm hyperventilating. My mind struggles to calm my emotions.

Focus. Concentrate. Ignore all distractions.

I've lived over 52 years just for this moment. One more major journey before I die. Perhaps the most important one of my life. A chance to create a legacy. An opportunity to fulfill a destiny.

The final countdown begins. Hours to minutes to seconds.

Then, I hear the three words that launch every new adventure.

Ready.
Set.
Go.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.


Photo: Red Rock Canyon - S and T head towards the climbing wall (while I lag behind, taking pics)

No comments: